Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Some things I learned about using Google+

These things might be obvious to everyone but me, but:

1. Unless you share posts as "Public" your posts will be invisible to people who have you in their circles, but who you do not have in your circles.  Also, only then will your posts be discoverable on the web. 

2. Unless your post is "Public" it can not be shared publicly.

3. If a post has been shared publicly you can "View Ripples" in the option menu, which is very cool.

So, unless you work for the CIA and use Google+ extensively for work, most of your posts are probably best posted as "Public". Finally,

4. If you add a person explicitly (using +name) anywhere in the post, that person will be notified about the post.  This is handy if you are not in that person's circles, or if you simply want to make sure that person sees it.  Also, if you only type that persons name (i.e. do not choose "Public" or any circle) then it's basically like a private email message.

1 comment:

Noel O'Boyle said...

And also if you don't share as Public, it will annoy at least some people - me for instance. I don't want Google to own my comments, and prevent my resharing. This is why I don't add anyone to my Circles who doesn't have Public posts.